Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Amazing Lace Intro


My sister talked me into (not that I was unwilling to begin with) joining this summer KAL. Then I started pondering "what to make"? Well, socks were the first to spring to mind... I do so love knitting them...but I thought that might be too easy. I mean, I have knit lace socks before ( Unst and Friday Harbor by Nancy Bush) and I have started a pair of Latvian Socks (also by Nancy Bush) that will be part of this competition; but I wanted a "Bigger" challenge. So, I checked Folk Shawls out of the library and scoured the pages trying to decide which ONE I liked best (it's impossible, I love them all, I want to make them all). Once I settled on the Sampler Shawl I had to go about deciding on the yarn. My daughter will tell you that I'm very impatient when it comes to waiting for yarn orders to arrive at the house. But the yarn came, and it is very nice. Knit Picks Palette in the Nutmeg colorway. So the pattern is chosen and the yarn, and the needles are ready.

Now to cast on 401 stitches. Am I crazy? What was I thinking? Was I thinking? It is going to take FOREVER to knit across All. Those. Stitches.


So now a few days have past and the stitches have been cast on and even knit across a few times. We are getting along famously, my teammate and I. We will remain friends for the duration, and she will turn out wonderfully.

But just in case disaster strikes, I already have lifelines.

Please return periodically for updates, eventually it will begin to look like a shawl.



4 comments:

monica said...

I am so glag to finally meet your team mate. It is getting close to the end of the challenge and I was worried about you. I love the color, and I am sure it will be beautiful

monica said...

Ok, that was supposed to say glad, it is late and I am tired.

Lori H said...

I love the Folk Shawls book. One of them will definitely be next on my list. Good luck with your shawl.

Rachel said...

Isn't Folk Shawls wonderful? And nice choice of color -- it never occured to me to consider Palette, but that's a really good idea.